Monday, June 24, 2013

The Sunday Movie Review - The Rules of Attraction (2002)

Starring James Van Der Beek (Dawson's Creek and Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23), Jessica Biel, Ian Somerhalder (Vampire Diaries) and Shannyn Sossamon, this is a story of a few teens who live out their college years seeking things which will take care of their boredom. They're spoiled brats, but smart spoiled brats.



The movie is rather fucked up. I mean, I got a feeling of nervousness from the very beginning to the very end. While the story itself isn't something new (classical love triangle), the way in which it is presented got me and a good friend hooked on it. I have to admit, I enjoyed it.

The music was also great, with tracks performed by The Cure, Erasure, Yazoo, Blondie, George Michael and even Milla Jovovich. It all fits together in the overall feel of the movie, further enhancing the experience.

Now, the reason I even watched it in the first place (never heard of it before) is that there was some article I read about Somerhalder kissing Van Der Beek in this movie. And Somerhalder is playing a bisexual here, so that was interesting to see as well, given the fact that I actually enjoyed the first couple of seasons of The Vampire Diaries.

Aside from that, overall, it's a movie that I'd recommend. It has a good vibe and the actors come off in a different light than the one you'd expect them to shine under.